Friday 15 October 2010

Gobelins; L'ecole de l'image



Just thought I'd share a few of my favourite animations from the Gobelins animation school in France. Hopefully I'll get to go to the Annecy festival in 2011 and meet some of the students. I hear they also have an English-speaking summer school program, so I'll look into that.



I like the vibrant colours in this one and the slightly-slapstick humour. The motion is so smooth and the story is told exceptionally well for the short running time; we learn alot about the characters considering how briefly we're introdiced to them.



This is one of my favourites and certainly my favourite 3d-animated student film. The characters are so believable and the story is told very well; this film in particular has a very French feel to it; which is probably a mixture of the music and the Brittany-style town the chase takes place in. It's not the most realistic of films but then that's why i like it.




This is one of those stories you don't really understand until the end and it draws you in as your watch; you want to know why he's in a hurry. The palette is very well matched to the theme and it gives the whole film a warm, homely feel.




The fluid motion in this piece really holds my attention and as with the previous short the story pulls you in. Although not as light-hearted as the previous videos it does not fall into the trap of becoming too serious for a short film.


To sum up; the animation industry in France is full of talent and I'd really like to visit Gobelins and see how they do things there.

Visit the Gobelins website.

No comments:

Post a Comment